Physical site where records of permanent value are arranged, described, preserved, and made available. Records in the archive are retained permanently because of their legal, fiscal, informational, evidential, and historical value. Therefore there should be a department within your organization responsible for administering the Archives.
We would help;
- Determine what has continuing value to the organization and should be managed and preserved within an archives program.
- Help determine whether the organization has the will and the means to begin (or to sustain) an archival program; evaluate alternatives such as outsourcing or donation.
- Define the mission of the Archives within the context of the organization and create the collecting policy; establish achievable goals.
- Develop a realistic work plan for setting up an archival program.
- Establish standards and procedures for describing archival materials.
- Develop appropriate strategies (paper and electronic) for making the archival holdings known.
- Plan necessary environment for the Archives: space planning, location, size, lighting.
- Train and supervise staff to run archival operations effectively.
- Provide benchmarks for on-going evaluation of archival operations.