A Collection is a group of objects, documents, specimens, paintings. These gathered to exemplify the culture and heritage of an individual, entity, or organization for their intrinsic, aesthetic, or historical value.
- Help the organization develop its collections policy: what to collect, how and when to preserve the collections, how to shape and improve the collections, and how they may be used and exhibited.
- Determine what types of materials belong in the collections.
- Develop standards of description appropriate for the organization.
- Select and implement appropriate manual or database system for managing the collections.
- Help the organization develop conservation priorities; provide guidance for retrofitting storage, research, and exhibition spaces as well as for selecting supplies and equipment; outline conservation alternatives, including reformatting.
- Help define organizational goals, set priorities, and find practical ways to achieve these objectives; provide disinterested reviews of how well objectives have been met .
- Help plan for and evaluate the day-to-day operations of the organization's collections programs.
- Train staff and provide manuals for continuing operations.